Saturday, July 14, 2012

A Follow-up to Wednesday...

Here's an excerpt from yesterday's reading in Scotty Smith's book Everyday Prayers. I love this book! So often what he writes about in his prayers pertains to something I'm personally going through. I found this entry especially beautiful and related to Wednesday's woes. Read on, Friends, and be encouraged.

The burden and confusion I'm feeling are clearly connected to old wounds with lingering pain. Sometimes fresh hurts become like a magnifying glass or a megaphone by which you remind us of unfinished business in our souls. Like broken bone that wasn't set properly, broken hearts that weren't healed the first time are susceptible to new pain.
Jesus, I need you. Flood my heart with your presence. Kiss my soul with the assurance that you are enough. Confirm the promise that we can--that I can--do all things through you as you give us strength. Give me the sufficient grace you have pledged.
Be the great Warrior of our hearts as you rebuke the devil on our behalf. Don't let the dark one seize this current situation for spewing his toxins. I don't have a thousand tongues to praise you, but let my one tongue speak with the wisdom of the gospel, rather than wag with the poison of gossip.
 As the day unfolds, help me separate the issues at hand. I need wisdom to deal with the pressing concerns right before me. I cannot afford to drag the stockpile of old pain into this day. If I do that, I will get defensive and will be on the offensive. As usual, this isn't about me, but your glory.
 Jesus, help me walk today as a man of faith, hope, and love with the people I care greatly about. Give us the wisdom and power you promise. Bring much glory to yourself. Write stories of repentance and restoration by the grace and truth of the gospel. I pray in your most worth and gracious name. Amen.

Wow. Not much I can add to that. I've dog-earred this page and when Satan brings to the surface pains which I thought had been conquered, I'm going to read this over and over and pray it for myself. He is enough, isn't He?


Everyday Prayers: 365 Days to a Gospel-Centered Faith

No comments:

Post a Comment