Friday, January 21, 2011

So You Think You Can Blog?

Technology and I are just not friends. My cell phone is the cheapy and, therefore, the hopelessly uncool model. I don't know how to text. My friends tell me that I need a Garmin in my life, but I don't know who he/she is. I still can't load my own music onto my Nano (walkman iPod purchased for me by technologically savvy husband). I've never understood where my pictures actually go when they travel through the cord and arrive into the computer. And so now I think I can blog?
I've always been more of a pen and paper kind of girl. There's just something beautifully simple about a new pen and an unblemished piece of paper awaiting my thoughts.
And so, I've rejected the blog over and over again....until now. Let's face reality. As a thirty-something mother to three small children, I can usually only find a crayon and not a pen with which to write. Should I actually find time between the laundry and the lunch making, and the carpool, and the cleaning to sit down before a nice, new notebook--it ends up catching my drool as my face hits the desk in a total surrender to sleep. I am exhausted. But I have thoughts and stories to share. I want to keep a record of these crazy, exhausting days so that when I'm drooling for an entirely different reason, I can transport myself back to these mothering moments. And maybe, just maybe, my kids will want to read it. Maybe, just maybe, you'd like to read along too.
 So, why bother reading? Well, there will be those few high school friends who will want to log on and see if I've gained 100 pounds since 1995. There will be the relatives who are obligated to read a page here or there so we'll have something to talk about at Thanksgiving dinner (yes, Mom, I expect you to read! I'm your daughter for goodness sake!) My close friends will want to keep abreast of the constant excitement that is my life (sarcasm added). Hey, those are pretty good reasons to be honest. However, if you want an excellent reason to read well here it is:  I am a nobody trying to exalt somebody (as missionary Jim Eliot said). My whole life I have loved the Lord. Sometimes I haven't loved Him well. Most times I haven't loved Him above all else. Thankfully, His grip on me has always been tighter and surer than my grip on Him. This blog is about a sinner's struggle to glorify the only One deserving of  exaltation. He is worth reading about.
So I'm jumping in with both feet and looking forward to another year marvelling at God's goodness and faithfulness, and this time I'm going to type it down.  George Mueller writes, "The living God is with us, whose power never fails, whose arm never grows weary, whose wisdom is infinite and whose power is unchanging. Therefore today, tomorrow and next month, as long as life is continued, He will be our helper and friend. Still more, even as He is through all time, so will He be through all eternity." Happy 2011, fellow nobodies.

6 comments:

  1. here are all the things i love about your first venture into the blogging world:
    a) i love that you work your sentences in a way as to not end them in prepositions. "...with which to write." you just can't let go of that english degree, can you?
    b) i love that you use capital letters. more power to ya.
    c) and of course, what you wrote spoke directly to my heart (just as i knew it would). "his grip on me has always been tighter and surer than my grip on him." precious words that i needed to hear today.
    i love you lots, sweet friend!
    al

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this, Kerry!!! And can I say, I am one of the friends from 1995....and you are still as beautiful as you were then!! And most definitely NOT 100 pounds heavier!! And in my heart I still call you Antoinette. :)

    I have been blogging for a few years now and I love it. At times i blog more often than others but I love nothing more than sitting down at the computer and going back and rereading my blog posts from previous years. I am contemplating using one of the many online sites to have mine bound into a book.

    Welcome to the world of blogging. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved reading this, Kerry - you should write a book!-Like you have time. I'd be the first to read it if you did. I assume you said "Yes Mom you have to read" because you know how I love reading my books and think I would have to "fit in your blog" - not true - I will read it as soon as it comes in - every time! Keep trusting the Lord as you do-it's lovely to know that He is your all as He is Dad's and mine! Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well as a friend who has completely missed getting to see you everyday over these past 10 years. I am super excited to hear your thoughts again and to see those wonderful kids of yours! Happy writing friend.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. From someone who is much closer to drooling for the other reason, I enjoyed your first blog post. I now have your blog in my list of favorites and will be looking forward to future installments. May the Lord give you time to share your heart with us - it is a beautiful heart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yay! I'm so glad you're blogging! I will be a faithful blog reader :) Looking forward to your posts!

    ReplyDelete