Sunday, January 23, 2011

Resolved to Change- Part I.

EAT ME! EAT ME!
I'm done with the flaky New Year's Resolutions. Exercise more. Eat better. Brush and floss twice a day (just kidding about that last one, folks). I've had the same resolutions for the past ten years at least. They are no longer resolutions. They are lies. I'm not saying it's bad to exercise. It isn't. And I could surely stand to put down that Daylight Donut (alright, 2 donuts) for a celery stick. But are there commitments that I could make this year which would be more satisfying and more rewarding? I believe there are.
Getting into that pair of over-priced skinny jeans obviously hasn't motivated me yet and I've never actually gotten to that point where a donut repulses me (is that even possible?). So, this year I'm resolving to work on areas of my life where I will reap greater, longer-lasting rewards. I'm starting with spending more focused time with my Lord. Care to join me?
If I'm to be successful in this endeavor, I have to stop making excuses and start telling myself the BIBLICAL truth. I've gotten pretty good at telling myself that God understands when I'm too tired to worship him privately. He knows my days. He knows that I race around like a deranged woman and that much of my day is spent doing His work--so surely, I get a pass. Right? No. Let's tell the truth.
 In his book, Radical, David Platt writes the following about the nice, middle-class American Jesus we've created:
A Jesus who doesn't mind materialism and who would never call us to give away everything we have. A Jesus who would not expect us to forsake our closest relationships so that he receives all our affection. A Jesus who is fine with nominal devotion that does not infringe on our comforts, because, after all he loves us just the way we are. A Jesus who wants us to be balanced, who wants us to avoid dangerous extremes, and who, for that matter wants us to avoid danger altogether. A Jesus who brings us comfort and prosperity as we live out our Christian spin on the American dream. (p.13).
God wants all of me and He won't settle for less. So, no, He doesn't understand when I have time to talk on the phone, watch tv, and have dinner with friends, and then claim exhaustion when it comes to spending intimate time in communion with Him. He's waiting to be with me. He wants to hear my prayers, my thoughts and fears. I want that too. I feel a constant nudging to spend more time with Him and to just come before Him, stripped down and bare. It's so freeing to say, "Here I am. I'm a mess. I know you love me. I know you will work with me and fashion beauty out of ugly."
I've been walking through some tough stuff this last year and seeing a lot of ugly. I can honestly say that I've never regretted spending time with God. I walk away with such a deep sense of His love for me and a calmness in my heart that assures me that all is well. Now that's time well spent.

1 comment:

  1. Amazed how God put you in my life! If I would have written a blog today, it would have said exactly the same thing....in a less attractive way. ha ha! Not a talented writer. :) I really hope we can get to know each other better this year. I finally bought the BOOK and it is awesome and I can't stop reading it and reading it out loud to anyone that will listen. And I ate 2 donuts this AM too. :)

    ReplyDelete